What is a loppet?
A loppet is a fun and sociable long-distance cross-country skiing event for all ages and abilities. The term “Loppet” originated in Scandinavia from great events such as the Mora Vasaloppet in Sweden. The Yellownife loppet includes 4 km, 15 km, and 25 km groomed tracks through the wilderness with check points, drinks and cookies along the way and a bowl of hot chili at after your ski.
When is it?
Sunday April 2, 2017. Start between 10:00 – 11:30 am, Trail closes at 3:00.
Where is it?
The start line is on the ice at the end of Vee Lake Road, a 20-minute drive from downtown Yellowknife. Download the Loppet Trailmap here.
How do I register?
Register before midnight on Friday March 31. To register, visit zone4.ca and search for Yellowknife. Registration fees are $30 for adults, $20 for Juniors (6 – 17), kids under 6: Free. Some discounts for the 4 km event.
How can I help?
The loppet of course depends on volunteers. If you would like to be part of this event without the skiing bit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please register all your family members, including infants in pulks and packs.
- Sign-in and bib pick up will be at Overlander Sports between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm on Saturday April 1.
- You must begin your ski between 10:00 and 11:30 am. We won’t be able to track skiers starting after 11:30.
- If you are skiing with a dog, we ask you to delay your start to between 11:00 and 11:30.
- If you wish to ski the 25 km route, you must arrive at Jackson Check Point (7 km mark) by 12:30 pm. All skiers arriving at Jackson after 12:30 will be diverted to the 15 km route.
- For safety reasons, you must stop at all check points, including the Start and Finish, to make sure your name and bib number are marked off the safety list. If check point volunteers do not mark your bib number off the list, we may send search and rescue out looking for you!
- You must check in at each check point before it closes. Please consider these before decide whether to register for the 4 km, 15 km, or 25 km route. Banting Check Point will close at 2:00. Jackson Check Point will close at 1:30 pm. The Finish Line will close at 3:00.
- The Tent at Vee Lake will be taken down at 4:00 pm.
- Free apres-ski lunch will be served at the Chalet from 1:00 to 5:00 pm. There will be limited drinks and snacks only at Vee Lake
- Coffeelicious – a mobile espresso bar, will be at the Chalet starting at noon. Please bring change for a yummy coffee!
- Need more details? Please email email@example.com
Sounds amazing. So who is making this happen?
The Yellowknife Gold Loppet is of course organized by the amazing volunteers of the Yellowknife Ski Club. A big shout out to our headline sponsor, TerraX Minerals Inc.