Registration is now open for our premier recreational skiing event on April 8!
What is a loppet?
A loppet is a fun and sociable long-distance cross-country skiing event for all ages and abilities. The term “Loppet” originated in Scandinavia from great events such as the Mora Vasaloppet in Sweden. The Yellownife loppet includes 4 km, 15 km, and 25 km groomed tracks through the wilderness with check points, drinks and cookies along the way and a bowl of hot chili at after your ski.
When is it?
Sunday April 8, 2018. Start between 10:00 – 11:30 am, Trail closes at 3:00.
Where is it?
The start line is on the ice at the end of Vee Lake Road, a 20-minute drive from downtown Yellowknife. Download the Loppet Trailmap here.
How do I register?
Register before midnight on Friday April 6 on Zone4.ca. Registration fees are $30 for adults, $20 for Juniors (6 – 17), free for kids under six and $5 for dogs.
How can I help?
The loppet depends on volunteers. If you would like to be part of this event without the skiing part, please email Cheryl Mandeville at email@example.com.
- Please register all your family members, including infants in pulks and packs.
- Sign-in and bib pickup will be at Overlander Sports between 10 am and 5 pm on Saturday April 7.
- You must begin your ski between 10:00 and 11:30 am. We will not be able to track any skiers starting after 11:30.
- If you are skiing with a dog, we ask you to start at 11:30. Please note that we must limit dogs to one per skier, on a leash while in the start area, and no skijoring!
- If you wish to ski the 25 km route, you must arrive at Jackson check point (7 km mark) by 12:30 pm. All skiers arriving at Jackson after 12:30 will be diverted to the 15 km route.
- For safety reasons, you must stop at all check points, including the Start and Finish, to make sure your name and bib number are marked off the safety list. If check point volunteers do not mark your bib number off the list, we may send search and rescue out looking for you!
- You must check in at each check point before it closes. Please consider this before you decide whether to register for the 4 km, 15 km, or 25 km route. Banting Check Point will close at 2:00. Jackson Check Point will close at 1:30 pm. The Finish Line will close at 3:00.
- The tent at Vee Lake will be taken down at 4:00 pm.
- Free apres-ski lunch will be served at the Chalet from 1 to 5 pm. There will be limited drinks and snacks only at Vee Lake.
Sounds amazing. So who is making this happen?
The Yellowknife Gold Loppet is of course organized by the amazing volunteers of the Yellowknife Ski Club. A big shout out to our headline sponsor, TerraX Minerals Inc.