Registration is now open on Zone4 for the Yellowknife Gold Loppet sponsored by TerraX Minerals takes place Sunday, April 7.
What’s a loppet, you ask? It’s a fun ski on groomed tracks in the wilderness starting at Vee Lake between 10 and 11:30. Skiers can choose from 4, 15 and 25 kilometre loops. Dogs are welcome after 11:30. You can see the route map here. There are two checkpoints featuring refreshments and apres-ski chilli is served at the ski club chalet between 12 and 4 pm.
Fees for the whole extravaganza:
- Adults (18 and over): $30
- Junior (5-18): $20 (15 or 25 km), $5 (4 km)
- Kids under 5 free (born 2014 or later)
- Dogs: $5
You don’t need to be a ski club member to sign up.
Volunteers are still needed, and we still have jobs that will allow you to ski. Contact Alyssa Titus at ykskiclubvolunteerdirector@
Here are the full rules:
- Please register all your family members, including infants in pulks and packs.
- Sign-in and bib pick up will be at Overlander Sports between 10 am and 5 pm on Saturday 6 April (the day before the event).
- You must begin your ski between 10:00 and 11:30 am. We will not be able to track any skiers starting after 11:30.
- If you are skiing with a dog, we ask you to start at 11:30. Please note that we must limit dogs to one per skier, on a leash while in the start area, and no skijoring!
- If you wish to ski the 25 km route, you must arrive at Jackson check point (7 km mark) by 12:30 pm. All skiers arriving at Jackson after 12:30 will be diverted to the 15 km route.
- For safety reasons, you must stop at all check points, including the Start and Finish, to make sure your name and bib number are recorded. If we don’t record your finish, we will send out Search and Rescue to look for you!
- You must check in at each check point before it closes. Please consider this before you decide whether to register for the 4 km, 15 km, or 25 km route. Banting Check Point will close at 2:00. Jackson Check Point will close at 1:30 pm. The Finish Line will close at 3:00.
- Free apres-ski lunch chili will be served at the Chalet from 12:00 to 4:00 pm. There will be limited drinks and snacks only at Vee Lake.